Monday, August 4, 2014

July 21 - Aug 2 Training Overview and Highlights (Program Weeks 4 + 5)

The last couple weeks of training have been have brought me a few PR's and overall, have been a huge step forward. Here is a brief overview and some video highlights from the Trainstagram. Check out my training log, for a more detailed look: JohnSambo@TraningBlog.com

The end of this past week of training marked eight weeks till Thunderbird Powerlifting Challenge. I've been hyper-focused; but will need to dial in my focus even more, to ensure that I make the most of these coming weeks of training. I'm enjoying utilizing the RPE system, now that it's becoming more familiar. I feel a lot more in tune with my own strength and am getting a much better feel for what I should be able to hit, on a given day. Weights are getting heavier, which is always fun. Bringing the belt back into play has been nice.

Squats have been much better lately, but still need a lot of work. Upon prompting from my coach, I've narrowed my stance from 1.5x shoulder width, to shoulder width. Depth is much easier with this adjustment, but I'll have to work on ankle mobility and play with bar placement. Staying upright will surely get easier, as I get a feel for the details. 405 seems to be a good target, for Thunderbird Powerlifting Challenge!

My control on bench has improved a great deal and I see a big PR coming. Maybe 295 is not so far off! Taking a wider grip has brought my pecs and lats into play, to a far greater degree. I've only realized how much my bench was lacking, in that department. This realization has led me to switch my competition grip.

Switching back to Sumo Deadlifts was a good move, after doing Conventional for a while. I really need to work on not rounding, it's been pretty bad for a while now!!! While I have gotten better about it, the habit has just become so deeply engrained after the phase of ego-deadlifting that led to my injury. I am confident that I'll be able to clean things up and pull over 505, at the meet. I wanna hit 525, but only time will tell if that's in the cards!!!

Last but not least, my OHP is blowing up. On average, I've had much better stability and control and have felt far more explosive on it!! This is nice to see, as OHP is my worst lift and I feel like the ratio between it and bench is very much out of whack.

Here are video highlights from the trainstagram (MrJohnSambo@Instagram):



Close Grip Bench Press - 195x5. Another PR, this week. Feels good! It's kind of funny how the first rep was the ugliest... Whatever, set was not bad!! #tomatoface #newpr #notbadatall #raisingthebar
Pause Bench - 205x6. New Pause Bench PR, here... Felt pretty good!! The last rep was just on the verge of grinding, but no stick and good control. I'm really starting to feel comfortable with this wider grip, think it's time to use this as my competition grip!! #pressingmatters #smooth #newpr
Overhead Press - 115x6. Felt good, my OHP is coming up!! This was actually a PR, for me... #raisingthebar #deltoiddestruction
Belted Squats - 315x5. This set was a PR, I'd only ever hit 315 for a double, before this. Not the prettiest set and depth was questionable, upon closer examination. #purplebeltftw #destroyingthesquatrack
Front Squats - 225x5. Pretty good, but I leaned forward a bit for a couple of reps. This set matched my current PR, but was much nicer than last time. #elbowsup #stayupright
I know all you haters are just jealous of my robust Pokemon collection! DON'T EVER ASK ME TO TRADE MY CHARIZARD!!! #Pokemanz #firetypesrule #Charizardisgod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home